Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Race #11: Run for the Buds 1/2 Marathon - October 15 - Wilmington, DE - 2:25:39

Sometimes it's just not your day. Sometimes you wear the wrong amount of clothing,  get a blister on your ankle, feel like you've got lead in your legs, slept on your neck wrong, have to climb a mountain at mile 8, ate the wrong thing for breakfast, and just don't feel your best. Sometimes it's just not your day. 

The Run for the Buds was a small local race to raise money for a program that helps kids with intellectual disabilities, such as down syndrome. A lot of the kids were running in the 5k race and they were all so excited and giddy before the start of the race, you just couldn't help but smile at their enthusiasm for life. Shelling out so much money for races is much less painful when you know it's for a worthy cause. We didn't have timing chips, so the time is unofficial, but trust me, it's accurate. If I was going to lie about my time I'm pretty sure I'd give myself something better than 68th out of 87th place. When even the police (who were closing the roads for you to run safely) leave because they are tired of waiting so long for you to finish, you know you've had a bad race. 

Aside from my personal failure of the run, both the weather and course were superb. It was a perfect autumn day and the course was a challenging, yet scenic path through a park and down a main street in Delaware. Although I'm griping about my time, deep down I'm still pretty proud just to finish the race. Sometimes I get jaded to the fact that simply completing 13 miles on any given day is an accomplishment. Like they say, "Even if you're last, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!" :)

As always, for your entertainment: 

I know, I know. Sometimes it's hard to tell if Sam is short for Samantha or Samuel. Whatevs.

Black pants were a bad choice.

If that banner isn't the finish line I'll have to hurt someone.
Uncrustables and grapes for the ride home! Takes you right back to 6th grade doesn't it?
 Getting great deals at the Nike Outlet store will make me feel better:
$55 Capris for only $9!!!!! Awwww, yeahhh.

Got a problem? Just WORK IT OUT.

$20. I'm much more stylin' on my commute to work these days.
 Happy (better than me) running, 
p.s. - I'm headed to Ireland on Friday! See ya in two weeks when I will be posting amazing pictures, I'm sure! :)

9 comments:

Julia said...

so true about how easy it can become to forget the true accomplishment of crossing another finish line! congrats to you on your half! and have so much fun on your trip...between the trip and your nike finds...i am jealous!!

Christine said...

can't win them all, thats for sure. I had a race where I think I was one of the last 10 people to finish. It was a small race- but everything went wrong for me that day as well. But you finished got a medal and donated money to an amazing cause, so congrats!!!!

Stephanie F said...

Not that I'm getting on your case or anything, but... you need to be blogging more than just your race dates. I miss you.

Also, I hate you for those Nike steals.

The Green Girl said...

Aw, I'm sorry you had one of those races. Urgh. I'm glad you got in some retail therapy to cheer yourself up.

But more importantly, have an amazing trip! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

Sad you had a bad race, but so excited about the cause! I so want Ellie to be a runner - you gave me some hope today!

alisonds said...

Nice haul from the Nike store! Shame about the race though. :(

I'm from Ireland - hope you have a wonderful time over here! xxx

Sara said...

I like your pictures! Congrats on FINISHING! And those are great finds at the outlet!

"Sometimes it's just not your day. Sometimes you wear the wrong amount of clothing, get a blister on your ankle, feel like you've got lead in your legs, slept on your neck wrong, have to climb a mountain at mile 8, ate the wrong thing for breakfast, and just don't feel your best. Sometimes it's just not your day."

Thank you for this, I need to remember this. It might be a bad race, but it IS a race. They closed the course at my first marathon in Pittsburgh and it was, well, interesting, but I finished and that is something I always needs to remember as an awesome accomplishment! Thank you for reminding me!

Erik Ammon said...

I've seen this a lot lately:
DLF>DNF>DNS

Deal last finish > did not finish > did not start

IT was a worthy cause, as you said, so its a WIN!!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Cute shoes. Have fun on your trip, I LOVE to travel. We just got back from a 10 day cruise to New England and Canada. Started in New York ended it Quebec...amazing!!

runningtobeskinny.com