Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Monday, June 20, 2011

12 Things in the past 12 Months

A few disclaimers before you read this post: To my few male followers, this is a hormone-full, women-empowering post. I'll be back to my normal self next week, I promise. To all my married blogger friends, in no way am I dissing you. In fact, I'm super happy y'all found your soul mate, but you can still relate to this post in some ways, b/c hey, you were all single at some point, right?

Here goes: I like being single. I really do. It doesn't bother me. When I can't find friends to hang out with I have no problem going to restaurants, movies, concerts, etc by myself. I've always been a pretty independent person. However, even the most independent people get lonely once in a blue moon. Had one of those nights recently (too many stupid lifetime movies) and when I started to get upset I had to stop myself. "Why the eff are you crying, Sam?!" It only lasted a minute before I was reminding myself that I love my life just the way it is. I'm not sure why, but I started writing down a bunch of things that I was proud of. I absolutely recommend this, not just for single people, but married people too. It's important to reflect on ourselves and our own accomplishments as individuals, as well as plan for the future - and putting it on paper (or your blog) makes it so much more real. 

So here are 12 things that have happened (without a man) in the past 12 months :)
1) I turned 22 and threw myself an awesome cook-out/party.
2) I got a raise. 
3) I moved into my own apartment.
4) I opened a Roth IRA.
5) I traveled to Africa by myself to hang out with some wonderful friends in Ethiopia.
6) I donated 10 inches of my hair to a cancer patient.
7) I went hiking in the Shenandoah Mountains.
8) I video-taped my beautiful cousin Dani's wedding. (read her wedding dress story here)
9) I tutored an 11 year old girl every week in reading.
10) I snowboarded a blue run in Vail. (second time snowboarding ever!!)
11) I started a blog.
12) I ran 3 5k's, 1 10 miler, 4 half marathons, and my first full marathon.

I'm so grateful to have running and all my running friends in my life. I know that without running I would be way more lonely. Endorphins rock.  Aretha Franklin and Annie Lennox also rock.

What is one thing you've done in the past year that you are proud of?

23 comments:

Julia said...

LOVE this post. I can totally relate. I enjoy being independent and single but at the same time I also feel lonely every once in a while. What a good reminder to remember what I am most proud of...this year I moved into my own apartment and so far it has been awesome and a great success! I feel SO proud of myself! haha! Thanks for this post :)

Richelle said...

Did you donate your hair through Locks of Love? I did that two times when I was younger and had long hair to chop off. What a great organization!

I still enjoy doing stuff by myself (usually eating out and shopping) even though I'm getting married in less than three months. I don't anticipate that changing after I get married. Maybe I'll need a break from my hubby, ha ha!

You should definitely be proud of all that you've accomplished this year! More fabulous things are in store for you!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

LOVE THIS!
1. today, i will complete a teaching fellowship
2. survived a high-risk pregnancy to have a baby girl
3. ran a 10k pregnant
4. learned to use manual mode on my camera!

you go girl! dc is the best city to be a single woman in! (cause i was one til i was 29!)

Mon Amour said...

I love this post! I can relate in so many ways even though I am in a serious relationship. I always make sure I am doing things for myself

Pam said...

Those are awesome accomplishments!!! We do have to pat ourselves on the back every now and then :)

I'm married and love my friends, but I still like to go to restaurants, movies, shopping, etc by myself pretty frequently. I like to feel independent and do things my own way.

Megan said...

You did some awesome stuff!!

Every now and then I have pity parties for myself for one reason or another, but then I jump on my bike or go for a run, and usually I end up feeling like "I'm awesome! What was I upset about?"

You rock!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I loved being single, and just as I was really starting to embrace it and enjoy it, I met my husband and had kids. Some days I still miss being single :) Great job on all you have accomplished that is awesome to have a Roth at your age, keep up the hard work.

Tara @ Dashing in Pearls said...

All of those are amazing! I completed a 5k, my first 10k, and my first half marathon!

Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl said...

You've done more in the past 12 months then I have in 24...I'm feeling the pressure here and you've set the bar high!

But really on a serious note, these are all truly amazing things. I like you more and more with each of your posts because you have a love for life and LIVING! So maybe you're single now, but you are going to find an amazing man that will make your heart sing and your adventures even more exciting when the time is right...and he will be a very lucky guy.

Stephanie F said...

You are seriously so hardcore. I love this list.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

I love this post. Too often...it doesn't matter if we're married or single, etc...we forget to appreciate the things that make us who we are. Great idea!

Quinton J said...

Ummm…Sam….I’m a guy…and I’m married…so I was kinda’ preparing for a punch in the face with this post.

I think you’re freaking awesome…your list of 12 things is really just the tip of the iceberg, because I for one have spent some time digging in the crates of your blog and know that you have way more awesome qualities than blogspot would give you gigabites to list.

The point is, everybody has those days (even married folk). Like you said everybody is not only entitled to those days…they really outta have them for their own good…just to reflect.

Keep shining girl. Keep shinin'

Fruit Fly said...

Most people don't do a lot of that list EVER, or it takes a lot longer --- you ROCKED in the last 12 months!! Go You! :)

I feel proud that I haven't given up during times of injury - and I kept with all of the running. Every finish lines always feels like a huge accomplishment and I love it!

Running Ricig said...

This post is seriously great! I love the things you're proud of!

Funny story: I donated my hair once and they sent me back a thank you to Karl...Yep, they thought I was a dude :)

fittingbackin said...

WOW - you have so much to be proud of - with or without a man! i was reading that like whoa - this girl did all of these amazing things in one year. Many congrats - and so fun about the snowboarding. :) I was in Vail in December and just loved it!

ashley said...

married or single, doesn't matter - you are still blowing me over with all your fun stuff over the past year. makes me feel totally boring!!!! :)

Alyssa said...

What an awesome idea for a post! It's so important to remind ourselves that we are awesome! I'm proud that I started grad school, got As in both my classes ran two half marathons, two marathons and an ultramarathon, and saw growth in almost all of my student's reading scores! You have done so much that is incredible, you are so young and so inspirational! We should totally do a meet up in DC - I got the sangria so I need to go back for a margarita!

The Green Girl said...

I agree - single, with someone, married, whatever, we all need to do this every once in awhile.

Stephanie F said...

LINKED. TO CANCER. what the heellllllllllllllllll. hahahahha

Mike of FailureToDetectSarcasm.com said...

Crying is good for you. Therapeutic.

Being single, you should shoot for 24 of these things over the next 12 months. Married people on the other hand, we'll just think about 12 cool things to do in 20 years when the kids are grown.

Courtney said...

this post is awesome! you should be so proud of yourself!

Heidi said...

Sam...... I live through your eyes every day and beautiful eyes they are because they are attached to a beautiful soul. Thank you for taking me on so many wonderful journeys that I am unable to do myself right now. Do you know how much of an inspiration you are to me?
Love,
Mom :)

PS. I think I will go ride my bike now!

Samantha said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. The blog community is just so awesome :)

p.s. - How did I leave whitewater rafting off this list?! Totally one of the best parts of the past year.