Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Slackers

Y'all are in trouble. I'm un-impressed with your blog police skills. Not one person called me out for:
a) Not posting my Toning Tuesday Week 3 pictures; or
b) Not posting a winner to my low-key, poorly-advertised give-away.

Here are the reasons I've been a bad blogger
a) I only did the DVD once out of 7 days last week. I know, I'm ashamed. I also drank beer and ate bad food because it was a long weekend. (How are you gonna get your beach body ready with those kinds of habits, Sam?!) If I had posted a picture it would have looked like this: 
Yes, I had a food baby last week. Jillian Michaels would be so disappointed in me! :(

b) That mini give-away was so poorly advertised that even I forgot about it. My bad. The winner (picked randomly) is: Julie from Adventure Is Out There


Congrats! Send me an e-mail with your address.


Oh, and don't worry - I'm not slacking anymore - blogging wise or fitness wise. The heat/extreme humidity finally got the best of me and I broke down and got a gym membership yesterday. I did my first speed treadmill workout and I almost died. The workout I did was just something random I found after googling "how to train to run a half marathon in under 2 hours". It went like this: 
  • Run a quarter mile at treadmill speed 8.2 (dangerously close to flying off the 'mill)
  • Speed walk a quarter mile at treadmill speed 4.4
  • Sweat like a man
  • Repeat 6 times (or until your legs feel like Jello)
1) Does anyone have any other good treadmill workouts so that I don't get bored and rip my eyes out after 1.5 miles? I am a big fan of watching Netflix on my new iphone - It distracts me from looking at the distance on the treadmill screen every 30 seconds. 
2) What have you been slacking on lately and why? (running, eating healthy, taking your vitamins, doing the dishes?) No, I did not pull those examples from my own life, how dare you! :)


Happy Running,

18 comments:

Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl said...

I hate running on a treadmill, but sometimes the winter conditions here are brutal. It is hard to spice it up, I play with the incline and sometimes I crank up the speed to race the men on the mills at the gym to see who is the last one standing. I don't know how people run on those every day, I feel like it is torture!

Julia said...

ummm wow! that TM workout sounds hard core. Sometimes I will do hills or tempo on the TM as well. Like run 4 min at 1% incline then 3 at 2% and then 2 at 3%, etc. Or yesterday I did a mile warm-up...restarted the TM....did 3.1 at tempo and then restarted again for my cooldown. I get bored a lot so I have to switch it up all the time...whether it be speeds or incline every half mile!

Lately I have been slacking on eating balanced....i need more veggies!!

A Prelude To... said...

I love to win stuff!! :D Thanks!
I have no advice about the treadmill since I decided yesterday to sell mine and move all runs outdoors from here on out. I seriously can't stand TM running any more.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I did check in to see if you had posted a winner a couple days ago, but figured you were busy, next time I'll call you on it :) I haven't run on a treadmill in years.

Emz said...

OMGosh love the "food baby" comment.

Cracked me up!

Stephanie F said...

Oh crap. I gotta get on the treadmill... it is wayyyy too damn hot outside.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm all about the treadmill since it's 90+ degrees lately! I play games so I'm not too bored. I like to start slow and go up .1 every 1/2 mile, or whatever suits you. Mixes it up a bit!
:)

The Green Girl said...

I agree, that food baby comment was hilarious!

Pam said...

Ha! I bet you still look great. But good for you to get back on track with a kickass treadmill workout! That's more than I could take. Go you!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

I hate the treadmill, but I try to do a mile and then speed up by .1 at set intervals.

And I'm slacking on picking up my classroom. I have so much stuff to pack up before summer! Urgh. But I don't know what I'm going to do when I get the stuff home, I don't have room here for my giant boxes of books, but I MUST go through my teaching materials. I must.

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

PS. Since you're lucky on my blog, I should let you know I have another giveaway coming soon :) (I never win. Then, there's one blog I won on twice in like 4 weeks.)

Cory Reese said...

I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a good workout on the treadmill. They are, um, evil.

Richelle said...

I feel like I've been slacking on everything lately... work, wedding planning, life in general. Yuck!

I've had some tough speed workouts this week. On Tuesday, I warmed up for 5 minutes with the treadmill speed set to 7.0. Then, I cranked it to 8.3 (7:13/mile) for 400 meters, then went back down to 7.3, and repeated that six times before cooling down. Today, I did a mile at 7.0, the second mile at 7.5, the third at 8.0, and the fourth at 7.5.

Erin @ UntilYouTri said...

I am all about watching Netflix on my iPhone while running on the treadmill!! It has totally changed my feelings about running on treadmills (I used to hate it and avoid it at all costs). Hmm, as far as other workouts, I have done 800 repeats (10 min warm up, 800s at 5k pace [4 to 8, depending on fitness level] with 400 m jog in between) and tempo runs (10 min warm up, build speed slowly for 10 to 20 minutes, 10 min cool down). Or you can do ladders (10 min warm up, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 800, 400, 200 at 5k pace with 200 or 400 jog in-between).

Courtney said...

My buddies and I have been doing trail runs starting around 8pm. The woods give us good cover so it's not as hot.

I love Netflix on my iphone too! But when I can't do that I do books on tape...but then again I'm a nerd like that!

Erik Ammon said...

Right this second, I am slacking on doing the dishes. In general? I have been slacking on core muscle workouts. TM? Hate it! Go outside and run!!!!!!

Becka said...

I could use help with the treadmill too. Which sounds stupid coming from me since about 98% of my training is on the treadmill. I have added about 8 minutes to my "average" half marathon time over the last 4-5 months. I never really did "speed" workouts so this is a mystery. The only thing I've ever really even tried was the Yasso 800s. So warm up, run at 7.5 for 4 minutes and then walk at 3.5ish for 4 minutes. (This too was to run a 2 hour half).

Come up with anything, I'd be interested to hear it!

Fruit Fly said...

I've been slacking on everything it seems. I WANT to run, but my legs won't let me.

Food babies - they suck. I had one yesterday!