Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My First Spin Class and a Belated Father's Day

Watch this e-card video I sent to my dad on father's day. You will die laughing. Especially if you know that my dad is a 55 year old, caucasian, new-home salesman and his favorite song is "Air Force Ones" by Nelly. hahaha.

I've been trying to take full advantage of my latest living social deal (one month gym membership) so I've been doing all the classes they offer. Abs class and body pump are brutal/awesome. Most days my work-out goal is just to go hard enough to get my boobs to stick out farther than my gut, but sometimes I go all out. Like today. I did a mile warm-up, then a short abs class, then a hard core spin class where I unfortunately picked the bike next to Lance Armstrong and I was sweating so much I thought the janitor was going to have to bring in a mop, then hit the weights for an upper body workout (bench press, bicep curls, tricep ____ (Idk, just tricep things). In my mind all these things justify Ben & Jerry's.


In other random news from the week: 


I made a massive amount of Mexican food and so I've been eating it for 3 days straight. Send Pepto Bismol ASAP.
Chipotle aint got nuthin on me.


I went to a Sara Evans and Rascal Flatts concert on Saturday: 
Turquoise microphone. Could Sara Evans be any cuter?

In an effort to diversify my cross-training I found a local public pool and bought all the gear to become a swimmer. I might drown after half a lap, but at least I'll look legit doin' it :)
Bring it Michael Phelps.
1. What is your favorite form of cross-training?
2. Have you done a spin class? Is it normal for your toosh to hurt bad by the end?


Happy Running, 

12 comments:

Run with Jess said...

YEAH for Spinning!! I love love love to spin! The seat does take some getting used to... ask if they have some gel seat covers - most gyms have a couple on hand.

Richelle said...

The only living social deals I've purchased have been for restaurants and wineries. I'll be on the lookout for a gym membership come winter when I want to be sweating indoors instead of outside. I've never taking a spin class before, so that will give me extra motivation.

I used to listen to country music when I was in high school, and Sara Evans was one of my favorite artists. Her voice is strong and beautiful.

LOVE the video!

Julia said...

hahaha! you are hilarious! so glad you are taking advantage of all those classes! ummm i am terrified of spin for some reason...i have no idea why. i really do want to try it...i know it would be an awesome workout! you are inspiring with all your intense workouts!

The Green Girl said...

Kickboxing will always be my first love.

Stacie said...

Thanks for being follower #300!!!!! I've been following you for a little while now.

So many things to comment on :)
1. I love Mexican food. Yours looks amazing.
2. I've seen Sara Evans and she is very sweet. Big M got to meet her and get a pic when she was 3. I'd love to see Rascal Flatts.
3. Spin classes are brutal on the backside. It does start to get better after a few classes.
4. I recently got a new bike so I love to get some cross training in with that when I can.

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

i tried to ride my bike on the trainer the other day. got on it 3 times. had an angry baby stop me 3 times.i ate cookies instead.

impressed you did spin... it terrifies me!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Great workouts! And...that food looks amazing.
So jealous you got to go to that concert. How fun! :)

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

That card was HILARIOUS!!!

I'm not sure I consider anything "crosstraining" anymore. Being a triathlete makes pretty much everything direct training. But I do make sure to keep my training schedule split up so I don't do too much of one thing at a time.

And you'll get used to the bike seat after some time. The suggestion for a gel cover would work in the short term, but being a cyclist, you'll honestly be better off in the long run spending a couple weeks just knowing it might be uncomfortable. AFter 2-3 weeks you'll be fine.

Fruit Fly said...

I haven't done spin class, but I feel like it would be fun if I had some girlfriends to do it with. Sadly, I don't. All the girls I know here in town don't work out at all and just sit and home every night. Um, BORING!!

I like you boob/gut goal!

RunYourAshOff said...

I'm so jealous! I want to start swimming so bad!!

Erin @ UntilYouTri said...

Hahaha, you crack me up. Swimming is my LEAST favorite form of cross training (which is ironic since I call myself a triathlete;). I love biking and weight training...and things like hiking, etc. And yeah, when I bike my toosh (and other unmentionable parts) usually hurt when I haven't been biking in a while. Those parts have to get back in biking "shape," too.

Little Miss Runshine said...

I love spinning! I am going this week with some of my girlfriends.

And I'm obsessed with living social, groupon, buywithme, etc. I have to limit myself!

Yay for getting into swimming!!! I love/hate it. But it's going to be a great workout! Can't wait to hear about your swim adventures!