Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wait, you mean I'm not a tortoise anymore?!?

IS THAT AN 8?? Seriously, does my ipod say 8:32 min/mile?

Okay, okay, I know it was only 1.5 miles, but that's because it was just a warm-up before I did my strength training workout. 8:32 might seem like a slow pace to some of you, but it's a BIG accomplishment for me.

For the past 3 years I was running just to stay in shape. Consider that I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs... I'm not some petite lil girl flyin' around a track, that's fo' sho'. Staying in shape meant running at a comfortable pace for a few miles...most times that was about a 9:45 pace.

Recently I've dedicated myself to becoming a runner, not just someone who runs - so I thought about a few things that I should probably do:

1. Completely change my eating habits (I'm all over it)

Veggies and hard boiled egg (protein) for dinner! Alright, there might have been a brown rice sushi california roll too...
 2. Join a running club (Went on my first run Monday with the DC Capital Striders...met some great new people!)

3. Start paying attention to my speed (and try to improve it)

I'm so happy that I'm staying on track with these things! I'm starting to think that I might just actually be close to prepared for this marathon on April 30th...for a while there it just wasn't a reality for me.

P.S. - Random fact - I'm probably the most clumsy person ever. Evidence: I think I banged my shin on the bottom of the shopping cart at the grocerty store approximately 7 times during one shopping trip this evening. On the way home I kicked my ankle with my other heel about 9 times. Does this happen to anyone else?!

In addition to my speedyness I also had another couple firsts tonight: liquid glucosamine and soy milk.

The glucosamine is for my hips and ankles...hopefully it helps (pretty please). I have no idea what possesed me to buy soy milk...maybe the entire aisle dedicated to it in Whole Foods? Anyways I combined all the stuff below and it wasn't too bad! Kinda like strawberry milk.
Strawberry Whey protein, vanilla soy milk, blueberries, and berry flavored glucosamine.
Lastly I just want to say that I completely under-estimated the hard-core-ness of an "Elle Glam Fitness" dvd. The cover is completely deceitful. That woman might look like Barbie, but don't be fooled. She is an evil drill sargeant and she kicked my butt...and abs, and triceps, and quads.
I'm gonna be hurtin' tomorrow

3 comments:

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations on the speedy run, girl!

I almost thought that was a picture I took - that's my favorite protein powder (I mix it with non-fat milk) and I love my Blender bottle!

Danielle said...

yay for "speedy" runs.... I have the same protein powder too! bought it on sale and I love it!

Stephanie said...

Yes Samantha Jo...you can not call yourself a tortoise anymore. :) But go ahead because I love turtles!! I'd love to chat politics with you sometime!! :)