Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lil' Local Low-Key 5k

Say that 5 times fast.

Today was my first trail race! It was pretty exciting. I was nervous that I might fall and break something because 1) I have the weakest ankles on earth, and 2) I'm super clumsy (did I ever tell you about how I tripped over a tree root in a piggy back race and broke my arm?) Anyways, all that mattered was that I didn't fall and I had a good run.

This was my first small race. I'd say there were probably 300 people total between the tot trot, 1 miler, and 5k. The entry fee was only $20 and the money went towards a great local non-profit that put on the race, A Wider Circle. I'm not sure of my official time (no time chips), but my Nike ipod app said 26 minutes, 20 seconds. I don't even know if the course distance was exact, but it sure was fun (and a little muddy!).

Have you done small local races? It feels good to know that my money went to help someone else in need and that I got a great work-out from it (and let's be honest the free bagels/bananas/granola bars are what I do it for). It seems like most of them are 5k distances. I have a Susan Komen Race for the Cure 5k planned for this summer. Maybe when I'm finished running my first full I'll start training for speed, not distance. Considering I just ate an entire tub of fresh mozzarella and pesto on french bread, I wouldn't bet any money on it :)

p.s. - Government shut-down averted with one hour to spare last night! Thank goodness my trash is still going to be collected (DC isn't really a state, so our basic services use Federal funds and would have been cut-off). For a while though I was legitimately worried that our city was going to stink really bad. Okay, okay, I'm not trying to make light of a serious situation...just a little humor for the day ;)

p.p.s. - Go check out The Studly Runner. She has an awesome giveaway for a medal display for your all your race hardware.

16 comments:

Kiley said...

Yay for the government getting their act together...my husband would have been out of work had they not figured it out.

And I love trail runs! I've only been in one trail race and it was sa-weet. Little local races are my fav. No travel & the money usually is for something good!

(thanks for the comments!!)

Pam said...

We have lots of little local low-key 5k's around here, and they're so fun! Some of them have 100 people or less. My slow butt has even won some age group awards! Glad you had fun and stayed upright.. I'm really clumsy, too, so I understand :)

Julia said...

so AWESOME that you did a trail race...I really want to try one this summer!

I also like local races...especially when I know my money is going to a good cause :)

Unknown said...

Nice job! DC confuses me.

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I ran a small local race today. Each month our running club holds a small race... love it! Glad you enjoyed your race! I have never done a trail run... I am too chicken! :o)

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations on your first trail race! So exciting!

I love local races - they are my favorites!

Alyssa said...

So glad the government shut didn't didn't happen - yet! I have never done a trail race and I want to do more local races, they sound like fun (plus you have a higher chance of placing in your age group). Glad you had a good race!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congrats on your first trail race--great time! I like the little local ones WAY more than the big races. I feel like everyone is just out to have a good time and support a great cause. Plus there are way better odds of placing in your age division :)

Madeline said...

What a great blog about running! I go to school in Eugene, OR and ran the Eugene Marathon last year. It was insane!! 26.2 miles is harder than I ever thought it could be. For now, I run everyday but am definitely laying low on the marathon front for a while. I'm your newest follower, I look forward to running updates!

www.missstilley.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all my soccer injuries, my ankles our pretty week too. Sometime the small town local 5k are the best.

EricaH said...

congrats on your first trail race, good to hear you made it out injury free. I really like small local races.

Tara @ Dashing in Pearls said...

Congrats on your trail run!! Maybe I'll have to add that to my list of things to do!!

I was watching the government really close last night. I'm glad they made some kind of decision in time.

ihaverun said...

Congrats on a great race!!

And I'm glad your garbage will stillbe picked up =)

Jen said...

That seems like a great time for a trail race! I hope to do one of those sometime soon! I wish it would dry out a little! And I love small local races!

RunToTheFinish said...

love small local races, but i haven't tried a trail run yet...still makes me nervous

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I've done a few local 5k's and they've all been fundraisers for various things. It's nice to know that the money goes to help people.