Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Funday

8 miles, brunch, and a new Brooks jacket...now that's my kind of Sunday. This morning's long run took place on the mall/around the monuments. I met up with my friend Amy who I am trying to convince to do her first 1/2 marathon in a month (I am sooo close to getting her to sign the form). It seems like every time we get together for a run we bring hurricane strength wind with us. Yet again we were almost pushed off a bridge by the ridiculous gusts of air. Aside from the wind, the weather was pretty nice and we had a good run with about a 10:30 pace.

We decided we needed breakfast before Amy headed off to vacay in Chicago so we sat outside at a little french bakery and enjoyed tomato and avocado omelettes, fresh fruit, and toast with jam (okay there might have been a tiny bit of nutella involved in the meal as well). When we got up to leave both of us had to grab on to the table to avoid falling as we said in unison "ugh, my knees!" Oh wait, you mean running 8 miles and then immediately sitting down to stuff your face for 45 minutes without any walking or stretching, isn't the best idea? Wow, some running buddy I am. Clearly I've learned jack $h*t in my 3 years of running. We narrowly escaped having to pick eachother up from the sidewalk and I headed off to City Sports in Chinatown.


I've been worried that Nashville might be much warmer than I've been used to and that I won't be able to wear my long nike pants or my capris so I decided I needed a good pair of spandex shorts for the race just in case. (Don't worry I'll wear them a few times before race-day to break them in). I might be able to get away with regular running shorts and a 1/2 pound of body glide to prevent chafing, but I don't want to risk it. Knowing these thighs, they would be as red as a firetruck by mile 18 and I really would rather not inflict any more pain on myself than is required during this race. While I was in the store I saw a neon yellow Brooks Jacket and thought "god forbid it rains on my first marathon!" "Dang, that jacket is cute, I think I NEED it." "Shoot...it's $70" "But, it's on sale...at one point it was $100" "I'll take it."


See...it's gonna keep me safe on night runs. Totally justified.
 In other news...good luck to everyone running BOSTON tomorrow!! Run hard and most importantly, have fun!

If you haven't entered my giveaway yet you should prob do it. Click here for the details! :)

10 comments:

Alyssa said...

I love running peer pressure. I will never admit how much I paid for my waterproof rain jacket but it's totally worth it, so good purchase! Those omelets sound amazing!

Julia said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that jacket!!! totally awesome! and I am SO jealous. and I definitely think your friend should sign up for that half if she can run 8 miles :)

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

love the jacket! A steal for 70 bucks. I rode a trail around the airport in dc...is that where you are? My brother, SIL and sister live around there.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Nice jacket, it's awesome and totally worth it! That breakfast looks like the perfect end to a Sunday morning run. Especially with the nutella!
:)

ashley said...

that omelette sounds awesome and i have major jacket envy!

shoot me an email! i was gonna see what your schedule is like for getting to nashville for CMM :) :)

redonkrunner@gmail.com

Pam said...

Great jacket! It'll come in handy for evening running :). Yay for making it through a windy run! I'm finding those really tough lately.

The Green Girl said...

Love the jacket! I just bought the bright green one.

The funny thing is when I wear it non-runners stare at me but other runners don't bat an eye!

Running Ricig said...

Loving the new jacket. I'm not going to lie, when I read where you ran I thought it said "at the mall." I really need to wake up!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Sam, you look wonderful!! I love that jacket you and yes, safety first!! Plus it will for ever!

I bet DC is fantastic to get long runs in--think of all the sights to see! I hope to visit one day!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I still find myself sitting down after a run (just a minute, I'll be quick) now and again. Then when I get up 30 minutes later I kick myself. haha

I've wanted a jacket like that for awhile. Sometimes, you just need it! Look awesome on ya' too.