Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

How (not) to run 23 miles

This weekend was supposed to be my longest run before my first full marathon. Two days ago I was given the opportunity to run the cherry blossom 10 miler here in DC for free (I just have to volunteer at another race) so I decided to use the race as the first half of my long run. My friend Heather had been training for this race for a while now and was unfortunately injured a couple weeks ago. She ended up running the 5k instead and did awesome. I know she'll be back soon to kick a long run in the butt. I decided to dedicate my run to her and made this shirt:
Maybe I should quit lobbying and go into the t-shirt designing business.
So here are the logistics of running all morning:
1. Wake up early and don't make your bed
2. Jog 1 mile to the race start line.
3. Race 10 miles through the cherry blossoms (finished in 1:40:19).
4. Stretch and eat a banana and muffin.
5. Jog 5 miles to the arboretum where you see more cherry blossoms:
6. Take a potty break and take off your ankle braces/switch your socks for dry ones (then put your ankle braces on your arms like wrist guards so you look like a tool).
7. Run 2 miles.
8. Walk 1/2 mile to eat the extra muffin you snagged from the race.
9. Jog 2 miles (don't let that muffin come up).
10. Walk 1/2 mile because you feel like your left hip could actually split in half.
11. Suck up the pain and shuffle/jog/limp your sorry ass home because you're so hungry you could eat your right arm (2 miles).
12. Try to stretch/foam roll your geriatric hip without screaming in pain and worrying your neighbors.
13. Make an enormous amount of chili and cornbread.

14. Take advantage of having your cousin's car for the weekend and take your chili out to the 'burbs (very carefully) to share it with your great-aunt and great-grandma.

15. Relax in bed watching the Academy of Country Music Awards.


Things I learned from this training run that I will change for the full marathon:
1. Don't eat french fries and drink beer the night before.
2. Don't stay up til 11:30 the night before.
3. SPF 90 sunscreen only works if it is sweat-proof.

Oh, and I also had a spa-day with my friend Laura on Saturday. Got my toes done a crazy color:
What a wonderful weekend I had!
1. How was your weekend?
2. If you've done a marathon what was the longest run you did before the race?

6 comments:

Tara @ Dashing in Pearls said...

Great job! One of my good friends interned in DC and is going back next weekend because it's the only time of year she hasn't been and wants to see the Cherry Blossoms!

My weekend was good, really relaxing which is good because next weekend will be crazy with my first half marathon!

ashley said...

breaking it up must have made it much less miserable!! i am jealous of all the cherry blossom recaps i've been seeing, the shirts and medals were awesome! ps. i have run 3 halfs and have failed on ALL to not drink beer the night before. :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congratulations on the long run!
Now I'm craving some chili and cornbread...yum
Love your blog!
:)

RunToTheFinish said...

so excited you are doing Nashville and found my blog! I love meeting new bloggies!

Nashville does have some hills and almost always had some iffy weather, so my biggest tip is to wear throw away clothing for the start line. After that you will be golden just enjoying that you are really and truly running a marathon!!! They do a great job with music, and as long as you have a designated meet up spot post race, that part is all good too

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Ok, I can't get over the fact that you strapped the chili in with the seatbelt. It's so practical, but still hilarious.

My weekend went well as a unit. Saturday was a mess, but Sunday was a total redemption.

I haven't run a marathon yet, but I find the various approaches in training intriguing; some only go up to 20 miles, some go to 30+. I personally feel it's better to go over 30, but I haven't done it myself.

gloryrunning said...

Yup, totally ODing on all your old posts since I somehow missed the awesomeness that is your blog and apparently now I need to catch up on my reading =) HILARIOUS. "so hungry I could eat my arm" =) LOVE it =)