Join me as I travel around the country to fulfill my goal of running a marathon or half marathon in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Running Group Perks & a Surprise Visit from Mi Madre!

First things first: my mom flew into DC this morning! I had no idea that she was coming. She just texted me a picture this morning and was like "guess where I am??" I'm so excited to have her here because I haven't seen her in a while and I know she'll be excited to see all the family that is getting together this weekend for Easter/my great-grandma's 88th birthday.

Okay, as for the running stuff: Last night's run group at Pacers was pretty cool. Before our usual 5 mile run a Saucony rep came in with a ton of shoes and let us try some out for the night. I just grabbed a box that was my size and it turns out that they were Saucony's lightweight trail running shoe. I don't run trails, and our run last night was mostly on sidewalks so there was really no reason for me to try them other than the fact that they were super cool looking:

Black/teal combo is the color of my race outfit...I was seriously tempted to buy them just for that reason. But I guess I'll stick with my clashing red/white Brooks lol.
I don't know anything about trail shoes so I can't really give them a fair review or anything, but I will say that they were pretty comfy and had lots of little grippy things on the bottom. (yes, "grippy things" is the technical term. look it up)

Last night's run was hip-pain free, so that's good! It probably had something to do with the fact that the physical therapist stretched me out at my second appointment yesterday morning, so I'm going to be stretching as much as I can these last few days.

Okay, that's it for today. I gotta go hang out with Heidi-Ho! hahaha, yup that's my mom's nick name.

11 comments:

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Love that your hip is feeling better...it gives me hope! Great that your mom is visiting-should be fun!

Oh and yes, the trail is in VA. They live in Alexandria. Definitely, a possible blog run! I will let me you know when I go again!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Love the shoes and also love group runs. It is so much better to run with others. Have fun with you Mom in town and a great Easter weekend. :)

Julia said...

have fun with your mom!! those shoes are awesome looking!!!

Stacie said...

Glad your hip is feeling better. Have fun with your Mom!!!

Michael said...

Fun surprise visit! I love the Saucony brand, but don't use trail shoes either, but they are super cute.

The Green Girl said...

Hope the stretching continues to help!

Richelle said...

I like Saucony shoes. Those trail shoes look awesome!

Have fun with your mom this weekend, and Happy Easter!

Alyssa said...

Fun! Visits with mom are the best! I need to get some trail shoes for my upcoming trail race!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Fun new shoes Sam!! I am inspired by the latest RW's that features trail running!

Yay for hip improvement!

Dr. said...

hahaha Heidi-Ho! is my sister's nickname too!
I'm so happy to hear your hip is holding up and feeling better!!!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

That's an awesome way to surprise you! I'm sure you all had a blast.

And yes "grippy things" is totally viable.